12/5/11

Kings Cross Midwest Regional CX Race

Saturday was the Midwest Regional cross race at Kingswood Park in Mason Ohio, a suburb of Cincinnati. The course was awesome, but very muddy, which I guess is what cross it sometimes all about, I just happen to dislike mud quite a bit....OVCX did a nice job on this race and their series, which I happened to race 6 of them.

Nate and I rolled down this weekend together staying at his condo in C-bus on Friday and heading to Cinci early Saturday morning to get in a good warm up ride and run and the plan was to go hard from the start. We lined up with a pretty nice field, some that we've raced with many times before and some we haven't seen before. The gun went off and Nate got the hole shot and never looked back, he took the win in fine fashion on a super muddy, technical course and rode strong. Congrats!

I was in a 4 man group at the start until about the mid point of the race and then we split apart and were on our own. We all seemed to be holding our own and I was looking behind to see where the Pappa Johns rider was and he was really closing in on me. He got around me on a technically muddy corner and gapped me and rolled away eventually catching the 3rd 45+ Master Lou Beckmeyer from 7 Hills Racing. I was now 5th or 6th on the road and 4th Master 45+. I kept on the gas around the corners and kept the speed up on dry/firm sections of the course, and ran the steps and barriers well and rolled in for 5th overall and 4th Master 45+ on a hard fought technical race.

Nate and I decided that we'd had enough mud for the weekend and bagged the Sunday's mud-fest and drove back to C-bus to his condo once again for the night and met Doug on Sunday at his place in New Albany for a nice road ride in great dry conditions. We actually spent quite a bit of time with Doug and Angela this weekend on their home turf spending quality time at the Mellow Mushroom and BJ's Brew House as well as meeting for the ride at Dougs place. It was a nice weekend and time really went quick.

I'm thinking of doing 1 more race this weekend near Pittsburgh but the weather is going to play a major part in my decision if I go or not. If I go it will definitely be my last one, if not, I'll have at least gone out on a decent note.



Later all.

No comments: