9/26/11

Double header weekend

Saturday was the Stark Velo cross race at the Kent State Stark campus and what a good course it turned out to be. There were power sections, techy sections and the long road climb, with a few differences in it from the past couple of years that I really liked, the course had great flow to it. I raced the large Masters 35-45+ combined class. The start was fast and by the end of the first lap I was in a group of four with three leaders just ahead of us. The lead group contained two teammates and I was content with the four others I was with. Soon two of the four were away and I was with Rick Parr from Stark and we were working together for the most part until he crashed in a slick spot and I was away trying to catch the Chris Huck and Michael Larimer duo that were just ahead of me. They were drilling it and I couldn't bring them back so I settled into a pace for the next lap and a half or so assuring me that I wouldn't get caught and rolled across the line for 6th overall and 3rd Master 45+.
The 45+ 1,2,3, was all Lake Effect with Nate Loman winning, Joe Pollato 2nd. and me 3rd. Good stuff. Nate also won the overall, he's on fire! Teammate Johnny Proppe also won the Elite race out sprinting Paul Martin in one of the best cross races we've seen, congratulations Johnny!

Sunday was the OMBC Westbranch mountain bike race. I was hoping for good legs since it was my final mtb race for the year. I raced four mtb races this season as was the plan and did pretty well and had fun racing them. I plan on a few more next season as well. I did the 40-49 Sport race which consisted of two laps equaling about 17.5 miles, at least that's what Garmin had it at. I had a good start and felt pretty good through the muddy grassy section leading into the single track and into the first climb. I rode well through the rock gardens and out of the first section and onto the suedo road leading into the lake section. Once I hit the rooty areas which seemed to be everywhere my lower back tightened up and was on fire. I had to sit up in spots and tried to climb out of the saddle so I could stretch out my back. I finished the first lap and got onto the road and stood and stretched it out a little and it seemed to feel a little better. I hit a gel and some Perpetuem and was quickly back into the field area. Rode the first section pretty good again and once I got the the lake side my back was once again screaming. I stopped and let some air out of my tires to try to ease the back pain and soften up the ride and that seemed to help alot. Ipicked up the pace on the way back in  but the time that I lost earlier didn't do me any good. Results showed I finished 6th in my group but I have doubts about that result, not that it matters but I know who passed me and I knew who was in my group. They were having  problems with the results anyway, oh well, no big deal.
Tony managed a 2nd overall in his 20-29 age group and brought home some gas money for the week, nice racing. Rudy and Julie both won their groups, nice racing to you both also.

This weekend is the double OVCX cross race in Dayton. Saturday's race is in Eastwood Park in Dayton and Sundays is at John Bryan in Yellow Springs, see you there.

No comments: